Natasha Washington is the author of two books, Am I’m Dreaming and Tainted Love. She is currently writing part 2 of Am I’m dreaming. She is from Conway Arkansas but currently resides in Little Rock Arkansas
1) First, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this interview with me! When did you know that writing is what you were called to do? What is it about being a writer that you love the most? What about being a writer frustrates you the most?
So when I was in the sixth grade I started telling stories to my sister and my best friend and I told stories all the way up to the 10th grade. Then I decided to start writing it on paper. So that’s when me and my best friend started passing around this composition notebook. In my writing just took off I love writing. And telling stories. When did I know writing was important to me? I knew writing was important to me at the age of 15. I could tell wonderful story like like they would come alive. My friends was amazed by and my sister was too. The only thing that frustrates me when I’m writing is when I get writer’s block that gives me the funk. I will have that for days and I will be in a funk for days and wouldn’t know how to get out of it. I will have to pick another scenario then I will gradually come up out of there.
2) Can you tell us a little about your book(s) and where our readers can find out more about them and you?
Tainted Love it’s about black lives matter it’s about a man a man who get on the bus and you try to stop a fight but you know you coming to Target. Synopsis: Samantha Is a hot shot lawyer with TC law firm whose life is derailed once she cross paths with Carlos, a client of the firm and is also a victim of police brutality. While working together passion erupts in the midst of the BLM movement. Join Samantha and Carlos as they navigate through their tainted love tale.
AM I DREAMING. Oceana flowers is a northern chick beauty that any man will die for as a professional by day and a Lust by night she end up at the start of her own personal nightmare after encounter Dr Able why a handsome veterinarian who comes to her rescue life in her pants of her stalker Rodney Davis is not like other men and the other takes no for an answer Mason flower in Ocean who holds the kids in her heart how far will Oceana go to let to get the love real life back and she really Dreaming or is reality set in.
3) What projects are you currently working on?
I am currently working on part two of and I was dreaming that’s what I’m going to call the book the sequel Am I dreaming
4) What has been your most significant achievement as a writer thus far? Where do you see yourself within your career in the next five years?
Well I’m not sure I haven’t achieve anything yet. I’m just writing just to be writing right now.
5) How have you dealt with rejection within your writing career?
Well I haven’t made any money and I don’t think anybody read my book so it’s heartbreaking but I love writing and I want people to read my books and I just want my work to get out there I want to become the next Zane.
6) Do you have a schedule for when you write? Do you outline your novels? How long does it generally take you to finish a novel?
No right now I have writer’s block
7) Do you believe that there is ever a point in life where it’s too late for an aspiring writer to become successful in this industry? Do you feel a late start would hinder their chances?
No I don’t think there’s one in my life where expired in my introduction industry.
8) Are you an avid reader and have you always been? What’s the first book you ever read that really touched you emotionally and moved you? Who is your favorite author? What book are you currently reading?
The first book I ever read was Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou inspire me the most I actually met her when I was 14 and in Fayetteville. She was just a beautiful person. The next person that inspired me is Zane and I want to write just like her or something like her. She inspire me as well.
9) The Pandemic was a challenging time for some writers and creative individuals but also for others it was time that they needed to focus on their creative passions. Which side of that spectrum do you fall on? Are there any lessons or nuggets of wisdom that you gained during the Pandemic that help you within your writing career? Did the quarantine stifle your creativity or did it make you even more driven to get things done?
I wrote Tainted Love when the pandemic hit and that was one of the hardest books that I wrote. Of course, I’ve only written two books (lol) but it was hard to write because it was a black lives matter book twist with a passionate love story.
10) What are your thoughts about how the publishing industry as it is being represented today? Do you lean more towards traditional publishing or self-publishing as a preference? Does being a hybrid author interest you?
I’m not sure that it does but I love being an author.
11) I feel like writing is a remarkable tool to help people not only express themselves, but also to cope emotionally and mentally. I know for me I write to be and feel more authentic. What unique quality is there about you, about your art, that you feel represents your authenticity? How does writing help you to be more empowered in your purpose?
So I am a hopeless romantic and I see things in a romantic setting like when I’m with my man we can be at a park and everything is just romantic. Everywhere and everything I see is just romance. I can’t explain it!