Happy New Year! It’s a new year and new opportunities are ahead. I’m wondering if 2015 might be the year you’re going to get your book or eBook written and published? If not, why not?
Here are a few of the most common reasons aspiring authors claim for not writing their book. See if any relate to you.
- You don’t know how or where to start. People who want to write a book may feel they have plenty of knowledge and experience but don’t know if their subject matter is good enough or unique enough.
- You doubt your ability as a writer. Most first time authors are not seasoned writers, but the only way to improve is to write. The more you write, the better you’ll get. And your book editor will polish your book-and you’ll learn a lot from his/her edits.
- You can’t find the time. Not enough time, too many distractions, juggling priorities… we all have these lurking in our day tearing us in many directions. Yet we make time for what’s important and learn to tune out the distractions.
Here are some ways you can overcome these reasons:
- Gain confidence in your subject matter by doing some research on your topic in terms of popularity, competition, size of market (of ideal readers). Recognize your status as the expert and know that you’re unique just because of who you are.
- Hire a ghostwriter or book editor to either write your book for you, critique your writing and point out your strengths and weaknesses, or edit your manuscript and help you improve your writing as you study the edits.
- Find a writing coach who will guide you through the writing process on a weekly basis; show you how to set up a schedule to create the time to write; discuss solutions to some of your challenges and distractions (inner ones like fear and outer ones like other priorities); and anchor your motivation so you’ll be committed to continue the journey to the end.
If you want to succeed in writing and publishing your book this year, you need to plan ahead. You need to first make the decision, then the commitment to do so. Then lay out a plan as to what steps you need to take from scheduling time to write to hiring a writing coach, book editor, or ghostwriter. Then implement your plan and find someone-a coach or another writing friend-to hold you accountable.
You love what you do and are an expert at it. It’s time to share what you love to do and what you excel it with the world-in your book! Are you on board?
Copyright © 2014 Andrea Susan Glass. Andrea Susan Glass, owner of The eBook Academy and WritersWay, specializes in personal and professional development ghostwriting and copyediting, as well as book coaching and education. She helps small business owners and entrepreneurs produce and promote books, eBooks, and various information products to brand their expertise, impact others with wisdom, and build passive income. To get a free report on writing and publishing eBooks and to receive a free valuable monthly ezine, visit http://www.TheEbookAcademy.com.