Master event planner, entrepreneur and author Melissa Banks is passionate about encouraging women to push past where they would normally stop. She believes it all starts with your thoughts. She’s the host of her new show “Dream by Design” with Melissa Banks, Founder of DMD Event Planning and Design, and owner of Dream a Jewelry Boutique.
1) First, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this interview with me! When did you know that writing is what you were called to do? What is it about being a writer that you love the most? What about being a writer frustrates you the most?
I’m passionate about the fact that to believe in ourselves and to push through even when it’s hard, is to control our thoughts and what we allow into our mind. One of the ways to achieve that is to read and repeat something that inspires us and that lead to writing down the inspirations that helped me. And this really happened over the last couple of years in the middle of all that’s been going on in the world.
Sharing part of what I’m passionate about with others in hopes that the day they absolutely need the words I wrote to encourage them it will be there.
I wouldn’t say any of it frustrates me, this is still relatively new to me, however the challenge for me was deciding which inspiration to put in the book. I just wanted to help has many people has I could.
2) Can you tell us a little about your book(s) and where our readers can find out more about them and you?
I am passionate about encouraging women to push past where they would normally stop. I believe it all starts with your thoughts. When women believe in themselves and do the work that is required, they will be able to create the life they want and deserve. In my book the Daily Inspirations are meant to inspire you, motivate you and to push you to action to achieve your dreams.
Dream by Design “The Devotional” and Dream by Design the Devotional “Expanded Edition” can be purchased at www.themelissabanks.com.
3) What projects are you currently working on?
Co-host on the show Words I Choose to Live By Hosted by Cyrus Webb, which airs Monday’s on Amazon Live and Thursday’s on Instagram@cyruswebbpresents.
Podcast- Dream by Design with Melissa Banks
The Melissa Banks Show – instagram@themelissabanks
Master Event Planner—DMD Event Planning and Design
You can connect with everything going on with us at www.themelissabanks.com
4) What has been your most significant achievement as a writer thus far? Where do you see yourself within your career in the next five years?
I’m excited about the opportunities in front of me, I want to be able to impact, encourage and push women to refuse to take NO for answer and to keep going even when it gets hard. I look forward to expanding by reach worldwide.
5) How have you dealt with rejection within your writing career?
Even has a new writer I have experience some of this, however I don’t focus on it. I choose to stay true to my purpose, keep learning and keep doing my best.
6) Do you believe that there is ever a point in life where it’s too late for an aspiring writer to become successful in this industry? Do you feel a late start would hinder their chances?
I don’t believe it’s ever to late to go after your Dream. The important thing is to say YES to your Dream and get up everyday moving in that direction.
7) Are you an avid reader and have you always been? What’s the first book you ever read that really touched you emotionally and moved you? Who is your favorite author? What book are you currently reading?
I began to love to read at an early age, and no matter what goes on I seem to return to that at different seasons in my life. I don’t really have a favorite author and I tend to read books that inspire me or help me grow in my business.
8) The Pandemic was a challenging time for some writers and creative individuals but also for others it was time that they needed to focus on their creative passions. Which side of that spectrum do you fall on? Are there any lessons or nuggets of wisdom that you gained during the Pandemic that help you within your writing career? Did the quarantine stifle your creativity or did it make you even more driven to get things done?
The pandemic changed a lot for me. I learned that when challenges even really big and important ones you have to be willing to make changes that are necessary. Keep some things and get rid of some things. Don’t take anything for granted and be willing to learn something new or a new way of doing something. My creativity went in directions that I never would have imagined.
9) I feel like writing is a remarkable tool to help people not only express themselves, but also to cope emotionally and mentally. I know for me I write to be and feel more authentic. What unique quality is there about you, about your art, that you feel represents your authenticity? How does writing help you to be more empowered in your purpose?
I found in this process that my passion comes out when writing it down and comes through to anyone who picks up my book. My excitement and passion to inspire and encourage is what I hope shows in every page.