LaDonna Marie is an International Multi-Award winning Bestselling Inspirational Author, Pastor, and Speaker. Her purpose is to empower and encourage others in overcoming obstacles in life. In 2010 she self-published her first book Expressions of the Mind, Body & Soul. She received a Certificate of Congratulation from Congressman Bennie Thompson 2nd district of MS. She was inducted Who’s Who in Black Mississippi in 2012.
Until Tomorrow Comes was awarded Honorable Mention in the 2014 Paris Book Festival and a 2014 DJ Gatsby Book Club Literary Award Winner in Poetry. She was a Bronze Medal Readers’ Favorite Winner for Book Lessons Shattered Pieces Being Restored. LaDonna Marie’s latest accomplishments in 2021 she was selected as Top 25 Global Influencers and Top 24 Trailblazers on the move, in 2020 she was selected as Top 30 influential women: Movers and Shakers in K.I.S.H Magazine, and awarded Top 50 Women in Business by Black Women’s Expo. In 2019 She was nominated as Faith Based Speaker of the Year at Speaker Con and received a Mississippi Success Award. As an Author in 2018 she showcased her book at the Congressional Black Caucus and NAACP’s Authors Pavilion and Winner of International Author of the Year in London, UK.
1) First, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this interview with me! When did you know that writing is what you were called to do? What is it about being a writer that you love the most? What about being a writer frustrates you the most?
Thank you so much for this opportunity. I started journaling around the age 12 writing all my feelings out. I knew writing was for me at the age of 14, when my writing transitioned to poetry. The poem felt like a natural flow to say just enough to get the story and encourage others at the same time. What I like the most about being a writer is that when readers can read the books and they can resonate with the books.
2) Can you tell us a little about your book(s) and where our readers can find out more about them and you?
In each one of my books, you will find that they take the reader on a journey of growth and awareness. Each book has empowerment, encouragement, healing and motivation to be who God created them to be.
3) What projects are you currently working on?
Now, I am not currently working on anything. I put out my Memoir in June 2021 entitled The Journey/ The Path: The Way I See It. Excited to continue to share the book with others, on all platforms.
4) What has been your most significant achievement as a writer thus far? Where do you see yourself within your career in the next five years?
I can say it is always an honor to be recognized internationally and nationally. My first Honorable Mention Award in Paris, help to believe in the dream that God gave me at 14 about impacting the lives of others thorough helping others to heal. From then and up until just recently been name one of the Top 20 National Authors of the Year by K.I.S.H. Magazine. I am extremely honored to help other leap into their greatness by overcoming obstacles and soaring. In the next 5 years, I see myself writing music, writing stage plays and movies.
5) How have you dealt with rejection within your writing career?
I have very early on, I had a person to tell me I would never be international, and no one would read it. I’m happy I trust God and kept writing the books He directed me to write.
6) Do you have a schedule for when you write? Do you outline your novels? How long does it generally take you to finish a novel?
Yes/ No. Most time I write at night when it is quiet. There is also time when I flow with the inspiration and go from there. Yes, I have to outline my book, be able to look at where I’m going in the book.
7) Do you believe that there is ever a point in life where it’s too late for an aspiring writer to become successful in this industry? Do you feel a late start would hinder their chances?
No, I believe that there is still time, they just have to believe in themselves and get started.
8) Are you an avid reader and have you always been? What’s the first book you ever read that really touched you emotionally and moved you? Who is your favorite author? What book are you currently reading?
The first book is I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. This book allowed me to feel that I wanted to write books that help others to heal and confront past pains and to know that they can be restored and empowered to move forward in life.
9) The Pandemic was a challenging time for some writers and creative individuals but also for others it was time that they needed to focus on their creative passions. Which side of that spectrum do you fall on? Are there any lessons or nuggets of wisdom that you gained during the Pandemic that help you within your writing career? Did the quarantine stifle your creativity or did it make you even more driven to get things done?
I loved being secluded because I could have time to write and flow in peace. I think the most important thing that it taught me was to become innovative as far as online media representative, because we could no longer go out to connect with others.
10) What are your thoughts about how the publishing industry as it is being represented today? Do you lean more towards traditional publishing or self-publishing as a preference? Does being a hybrid author interest you?
I have been a self-published author since 2010. Today I have self-published 12 books and looking to publish many more.
11) I feel like writing is a remarkable tool to help people not only express themselves, but also to cope emotionally and mentally. I know for me I write to be and feel more authentic. What unique quality is there about you, about your art, that you feel represents your authenticity? How does writing help you to be more empowered in your purpose?
Great question, writing saved my life. At the age of 14, I attempted to commit suicide and God gave me the gift of writing to heal me, and use my words, books, poems to do the same for others. I write to help others know that they can heal and overcome any obstacle in their life. I use writing a means of sharing my story to relate to others and empower them to be exactly who they have been created to be. To take the journey of healing, resilience, and being restored. Here I am now as Multi Award Winning International Bestselling Autor who overcame and use my gift to impact lives.