Short Suspense/Thriller Fiction Contest
Short stories in any suspense/thriller sub-genre (evil-doer, natural disaster, dangerous adventure, mystery threat, etc.) must create tension and race the heart.
Contest name: Fresh Ink Group Short Suspense/Thriller Fiction Contest
Description: Short stories in any suspense/thriller sub-genre (evil-doer, natural disaster, dangerous adventure, mystery threat, etc.) must create tension and race the heart.
Awards: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place published at FreshInkGroup.com plus in an anthology of short stories. 1st Place will be published in the membership newsletter. FIG may also award Honourable Mentions.
Limitations: 500 – 4,000 words; original characters only, max two stories per author.
Dates: Ends August 1, 2013
Entry Fee: None
Announcement: September 2013
The Fine Print
Contact: All entrants must provide a valid email address or phone number or mailing address. Contact information will not be shared with third parties.
Membership: All entrant’s email addresses are automatically added to the No-Spam FIG membership to receive FIG updates and contest/winner announcements.
Announcement: Winners will be announced by membership email and posted at FreshInkGroup.com.
Minimum Age: Entrants must be at least 18 years old. Legal Guardians may submit on behalf of minors if they state permission under “Comments”.
No Entry Fees: FIG does not charge entry fees for contests. No purchase is required.
Completeness: For writers’ contests, please submit your best work, revised and proofread. Do not submit only partially completed work unless requested.
Content: For writers’ contests, FIG will not consider material that advocates hatred, harm, or illegal activity. Erotica might be acceptable, but pornography will not be considered.
Ownership: By submitting to a FIG writers’ contest, each entrant certifies that s/he is the original author, that copyright has not been encumbered by any third party (no fan fiction), and that FIG is held harmless from infringement claims. Guardians warrant the same for minors.
Rights: Submission of written material grants FIG non-exclusive permission to publish the material in print and/or electronic formats, and to use the material in publicity. FIG reserve the right to edit material for author approval or withdrawal prior to publication.
Cancellation: FIG reserves the right to cancel any contest at any time for any reason.
Legal Limitations: Any contest or portion thereof is void where prohibited by law.
Purpose: FIG runs contests to encourage and promote the works of talented writers, and to encourage readers to discover and enjoy material by FIG authors. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Mystery Times 2013
Last year, we received over 100 submissions from new and established authors alike. Never before published, they were gathered together in our Second Annual Mystery Times collection. Each story was read and rated on the same set of parameters; each judge brought his or her own unique talents and tastes to the task at hand.
The quality of the stories was outstanding and the 2012 book rode the #1 and 2 spot on the Amazon Hot New Mystery Release List for FOUR weeks!
Our 2013 Showcase Mystery Times 2013 seeks new mystery short stories.
- Theme: Mystery–It can be it murder, cozy, paranormal, soft-boiled, hard-boiled, police procedural, suspense, thriller, or amateur detective.
- What is a mystery? In a mystery, the main character must track down the truth about an event, often a murder. If the protagonist is in any danger, it usually becomes a problem only as the detective/protagonist approaches the truth. That’s your base, how it plays out is up to you!
- No gratuitous sex or violence.
- The competition is open to all writers in English except current employees of Buddhapuss Ink LLC.
- Submissions will be accepted from April 1, 2013 to July 15, 2013.
- You must be 18 or older to enter.
- No previously published work(s)
- Simultaneous submissions are not permitted.
- Entries should be between 3000-7000 words in length.
- Send your submissions via email with the subject line “Submission for MYSTERY TIMES TEN” from <your name> with your story as an attached file in .doc or .docx (Word) format PLEASE INCLUDE in the body of the email:
- Your name and contact information
- A brief author bio (2-5 sentences)
- Entry should be single-spaced in at least a 12 pt. readable font. We suggest Times New Roman, Courier, or Arial.
- Send emails to: Submissions@Buddhapussink.com
- NOTE: You will receive an email acknowledging our receipt of your entry within 24 hours. If you do not receive this email: (check your junk/bulk/spam folder first!) please re-submit your entry and change the subject line to: “RESUBMISSION for MYSTERY TIMES TEN”.
- Submissions that do not follow these guidelines will not be considered.
- Notifications will be sent to finalists via email August, 2013.
- There is no limit on the number of entries you may submit. There is no fee to enter.
- Buddhapuss Ink LLC reserves the right to close or extend the competition if not enough suitable entries are received.
- The Winning entries will be published in the 2013 Showcase titled Mystery Times 2013 to be published by Buddhapuss Ink LLC.
- FIRST and SECOND PLACE winners will receive a new Kindle, featured placement in the book, and Buddhapuss Ink swag.
- THIRD PLACE winner will receive a $25 Gift Card, featured placement in the book, and Buddhapuss Ink swag.
- ALL WINNERS will receive: two (2) copies of the finished book and the opportunity to “fast track” their next manuscript with our Editorial staff. “Fast track” does not mean you will receive a publishing contract, but we will guarantee that your manuscript is given a priority reading.
- Some winning entries will also be featured on our website, blog, and/or Facebook page.
Buddhapuss Ink is all about our readers and all entries will be read by an independent panel of readers and rated on the same scale and parameters. The top 20 entries-based on the aggregate scores-will go on to the final round where they will be read and scored by our Editorial Review Panel made up of publishing professionals. The decisions of the judges will be final
- No manuscripts will be returned.
- Winners will be notified & announced in August 2013.
- Publication is scheduled for October/November 2013.
- Send your best words our way! We publish newcomers and established writers alike.
Key dates: Contest ends: July 15, 2013
Winners announced: August 2013
Publication: October/November 2013
Send entries to: Submissions@buddhapussink.com